Children & Families
During this time, while the church building is closed and we do not have in person worship all children and family ministry groups and classes will be meeting virtually.
Children’s Virtual Sunday school: https://cwames.churchcenter.com/groups/digital-children-and-youth-sunday-school/children-sunday-school-2020-2021
School Age Parent Social: https://cwames.churchcenter.com/groups/digital-small-groups/school-age-parent-social
Raising Antiracist Kids :https://cwames.churchcenter.com/groups/digital-small-groups/raising-anti-racist-children
Grow in Faith with Sunday School
All Children are welcome and encouraged to attend Sunday School to grow in their faith and learn with others.
- Sunday School is 9:45-10:45 on Sunday mornings during the school year.
- Classes for all children 2 years old- 5th grade are located on the second level.
- For our 2/3 year old class and preschool class we offer a lesson, crafts and snacks.
- Our elementary classes are based off of the rotation model. We spend 4-5 weeks on one lesson rotating to different stations, such as art, creative drama, science, games and more.
For more information about children’s Sunday School, contact Lauren Loonsfoot, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Short-term Studies for Children
- Third graders are presented with Bibles each fall, then participate in an 8-week class focused on learning to use them.
- During the year, there are occasional short-term studies offered for children and families. Typically during Advent and Lent.
- Vacation Bible School (VBS) is a great week-long learning opportunity for children that is offered each summer.
Wednesday nights, 5:30-6:00 p.m., preschoolers through first graders are invited to meet for Kids Quest in room 202. Kids Quest will help children develop a deeper understanding of bible stories through fun crafts, songs, art and games.
Life of the Church
Collegiate/Wesley is a wonderful place – there is always something going on! Here are a few things children can be involved in.
- Kids Korner is a supervised play time for children 3 years old-Kindergarten that takes place after the “Time with the Children” during the both worship service. Children will play, color, have snack and read a bible story together.
- Chorister’s Choir is an opportunity for your young singer who is in grades 2-5 and meets on Wednesdays from 5:30-6:15 in the Fireside Room.
- The Library is open every day. Children are welcome to check out the books in the children section and to look for the new Veggie Tales DVDs.
- We have an annual Elementary Service trip that is a great opportunity for 2nd-5th graders to participate in hand on service. They attend along with a chaperone to a location in Iowa and spend a day serving and a fun day bonding and building community.
Another way children can get involved in the United Methodist Church is by attending a camp. Camp is offered many times during the year for preschoolers to highschoolers. For more information about UMC Camps in Iowa check our their website here: https://www.iaumc.org/camps/#iac